A great number of the commercial dryer sheets are oftentimes full of all types of toxins, chemicals such as Benzyl Acetate, Chloroform, Benzyl Alcohol, and Linalool. And, not one of these is good for your overall health. And that is not all, in addition to all of these toxic ingredients that can be found in the dryer sheets and may end up on your skin, when submitted to heat the fumes are toxic. And when these toxins get into your body, they go directly to the most sensitive neurological centers of your brain and wreak havoc!
Today we are going to show you the top 5 reasons why you should ditch the dryer sheets.
By using dryer sheets, people coat their clothes with something called “artificial chemical perfume”. But, the bad news is that these fragrance are full of chemicals and an very toxic ones too. They can cause some serious liver damage and are carcinogens which can cause cancer in mammals. This has been proven by various studies conducted on dryer sheets.
In a research conducted not that long ago by the UW professor Dr. Annie Steinemann, the research team has started a study so that they could understand the effects of added fragrances in both detergents and dryer sheets. The results of the study showed that more than 25 VOCs have been emitted from the dryer vents, and the highest levels of concentrations were from acetaldehyde, acetone, and ethanol (two of which are considered carcinogenic). To put it in context, one of the carcinogenic VOC’s, acetaldehyde, had emissions that would represent 3% of total acetaldehyde emissions from automobiles in the study area. This is a major omission of toxic chemicals
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) from the 1990s, the following is a list of chemicals in fabric softener products, most in untested combinations.
- Alpha-Terpineol–This chemical has been linked to disorders of the brain and nervous system, loss of muscle control, depression, and headaches
- Benzyl acetate–Benzyl acetate has been linked to cancer of the pancreas
- Benzyl alcohol–This upper respiratory tract irritant can cause central nervous system (CNS) disorders, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and dramatic drops in blood pressure.
- Chloroform–Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic. Really toxic to your brain. Inhaling its vapors may cause loss of consciousness, nausea, headache, vomiting, and/or dizziness, drowsiness.
- Ethanol– Another fabric softener ingredient which is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and linked to CNS disorders.
- Ethyl Acetate–causes headaches and is on the EPA Hazardous Waste list
- Linalool–in studies, this chemical caused loss of muscle coordination, nervous system and brain disorders, and depression
- Pentane–causes headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, and depression
What’s the alternative to toxic dryer sheets? Wool balls. They are 100% natural and are effective at getting rid of static cling and wrinkles, soften clothes.